Expert group appointed to advise on 5G in Wales
A group of technology experts has been appointed to map out the strategy for 5G infrastructure development and rollout across Wales.
The group, which is being led by digital business growth agency Innovation Point, recently met for the first time. It’s aimed at preparing and shaping a national 5G programme in Wales.
Over the next few years, these experts will support the wider 5G ecosystem in the UK and help to position Wales as a world leader in the development of 5G.
Fifth generation mobile generation networks have been in development for the past few years and are set to make wireless communication faster compared to previous generations. 5G will also underpin the growing IoT ecosystem.
Innovation Point will work alongside existing initiatives such as the Tech Valleys Strategic Valleys Plan and City and Growth Deal partnerships to grow the country’s 5G capacity.
Members of the group include:
- Professor Simon J. Gibson, CBE – [Chair] Chairman Innovation Point, the Alacrity Graduate Entrepreneurship Foundation and Chief Executive of Wesley Clover Corporation.
- Mike Galvin – Leading on the digital project within the Swansea Bay City Deal.
- David Homer – Vice President at HPE, Enterprise Account Executive for Ericsson Worldwide.
- Dr Anil Shukla (QinetiQ Fellow)
- Phil Smith – Former Chief Executive and Chairman of Cisco UK & Ireland, Senior Independent Director of IQE, Chair of Innovate UK, Chair of the Tech Partnership, co-Chair of the Digital Skills Partnership and on the board of the Digital Economy Council.
- David Warrender – CEO Innovation Point
- Professor Paul J Tasker – School of Engineering, Cardiff University
- Professor Matt Jones – Head of The College of Science at Swansea University.
Simon Gibson CBE is chairing the group, which brings together representatives from the academic, scientific, industrial and technology sectors.
He said: “The potential of 5G is significant and presents a timely opportunity for Wales to improve economic performance, people’s quality of life and the connectivity of our communities.
“The creation of this specialist group has been formed to ensure Wales is able to take advantage of the benefits created by 5G and establish areas where Wales can demonstrate original thinking and capitalise upon the resulting innovations.”